Why I went...

View from our cabin in Utah. 

View from our cabin in Utah. 

I had a feeling last weekend not to drive my boys and I to Southern Utah.  But we had a very rare chance to see my sister in law and her kids. They live very far away and were here for the Summer.  So the boys and I drove to Hurricane, Utah.  

SUNDAY:  We arrived on the 10th and checked into our cabin. What a pleasant surprise.  The cabin was clean, had wifi, a small flat screen tv, a half kitchen, AC, and a private bathroom.  It also had a queen bed for me, and bunk beds for the boys. Once we unpacked and put away the groceries. We hung out at my parents house that evening. 

MONDAY:  We spent the morning exploring around us, and tried to find a few geocaches.  For those of you not familiar with that.  Visit geocaching.com ! We also went to the Leeds Wells Fargo Museum. It was amazing!  Then we had dinner with family and it was so nice to see them all.   LATE MONDAY:  I was not hungry - I did not feel so good at all.  We went back to the cabin and went to bed. I woke up around midnight in terrible pain, called my parents house and my sis in law Mikkyn answered the call. She came to the cabin, and took me to the ER. 

ER:  We entered the Dixie Regional Med Center ER and one look at me they knew I was in bad shape. We were immediately ushered into an exam room, received a CAT scan, blood work, etc.  I received pain meds, and I finally was relieved of the massive pain I was having. DIAGNOSIS: Diverticulitis.  A bad case. I also had a few other things show up on the CAT scan, a bit of TMI to explain. I would rather find out more about that before I say too much about it. 

GOOD THINGS:  I was well taken care of by the staff at the hospital.  Once I was stabilized, I was released and told to that my healing would take some time.  I was also given anti-biotics and pain medication for the week. I consider myself very blessed to have had a great sis in law and family all willing to help me. I'd do the same for them. 

RESCUE:  My husband Don, flew out on Wednesday to take care of me and drive us back home on Thursday.  But, the boys at the time were having SO much fun with their cousins, we decided to stick it out till Friday. We knew that if I turned for the worst, there was the ER to help us. 

HOME: The drive home was the most difficult for me.  My body was still having pain, and I was not sure if I would make it. Fortunately, I felt the prayers and good thoughts of many, and we made it home without too much traffic or incidents. 

INSPIRATION:  Now I really don't know why I was so driven to visit my family, but one could say it IS family after all. I felt our boys needed to stay out the length of time we scheduled to be with their cousins. I am so grateful that we did. They all connected to each other - even the youngest: Ruby.  Each of my Brother's children and his wife and such good people. Sometimes we must just do the best we can in our lives even when we are not feeling up to it all.  I just knew it would work out well, in spite of the pain, in spite of the worry.  I just love my family and my man. I can always depend on them. 


Kori Carothers

A musician's path to her/his muse is sometimes an easy one. Other times, it is filled with potential pitfalls or unexpected obstacles. Kori Linae Carothers faced just that when, during a kindergarten health screening at the age of 5, it was discovered she was deaf in her left ear. Her young peers found out and the teasing began. In addition, throughout elementary and high school, Kori was constantly told she would never become a musician. Undeterred, she kept learning and practicing, never surrendering her dream. Despite these discouragements, Carothers was passionate about her calling and now, years later, she is an acclaimed pianist and keyboard player with four albums to her credit. Clearly, she is an example of a person following her muse with courage, humor, and determination. - Bill Binkelman